Consumption of private labels at the Greek supermarkets has skyrocketed at 94% in 2021 according to the latest study conducted by Focus Bari via the Focus Bari | YouGov private online panel. The market of private labels seems to have grown tremendously within the last twenty years, comparing results of three national studies : Το 2000, ο ένας στους δύο Έλληνες καταναλωτές (50%) αγόραζαν τακτικά/συστηματικά τουλάχιστον ένα είδος σε private label.
- In 2000, one in two Greeks (50%) regularly purchased at least one product category of private labels.
- This proportion is found at 77% in the study of 2010, and has reached 94% in the July 2021 study.
- What also seems impressively increased is the variety of different product categories that consumers prefer to buy in private labels : with toilet paper and napkins at the top, followed by detergents and cleaners, around 40 different product categories are purchased in private labels at the Greek supermarkets.
- Interestingly, both in the 2010 and the 2021 studies, the majority of consumers perceive private labels as “value for money products”, yet…
- If a branded product is found at an offer or a price approaching that of the private label, the majority of consumers tend to prefer the branded one.
Key Learning : brands hold their power, provided they approach consumers with empathy in view of the squeezed economic & pandemic conditions
Read the full presentation of the study here